The Right OB/GYN for You
Finding the right obstetrician / gynecologist (OB/GYN) is extremely important for your pregnancy. Some qualities are important to consider in the OB/GYN before you start consulting him/her. He / She should be:
- A good listener and an excellent communicator.
- Honest and clear on his treatment methods (having record of ethical medical practice) and should explain every necessary detail to patients.
- Readily available for emergency phone calls and should offer good availability for general appointments.
- Having good reputation among patients, department / organization and staff.
- Having a well-organized, well equipped and clean office and staff.
- Asking for a reasonable consultation fee and offering easy to fix appointments.
Asking relatives or friends for a good doctor helps. Try to shortlist 3-4 most recommended doctors. Visiting each of them personally and discussing with them any relevant issue helps in deciding comfort level. Do not hesitate to ask him / her about his/her medical accomplishments and expertise. Finalizing the doctors you want to consult can be based on these factors (after meetings with each), that which one of them:
- is nearest to your place.
- was the most convincing based on your conversation.
- Has the best expertise in his / her field of practice and suits you best.
- Is most available for normal and emergency appointments
- Has good and supportive staff
- Has best equipment for ultrasounds and regular checkups.
Ranking them on these parameters helps to select the doctor for most frequent visits and consultation. You can select one doctor for pregnancy consultation and doubts and another for checkups depending on who is best at it (but prefer going to a single doctor for checkups as he/she would then be familiar with your medical history and records). It is good to keep contact details of all of them safely recorded in your mobile and a notebook so that you can visit anyone who is readily available during emergency situations.
Your set of responsibilities towards your doctor
It is also necessary to help your doctor do his/her best for you by following some of these steps.
- Keeping all medical records safe, neat and organized in a record file.
- Carrying this record file every time you visit your OB/GYN.
- Making a list of all points / concerns to discuss with him/her after fixing an appointment.
- Making sure to reach on time for appointments.
Nice article! So many people choose their healthcare providers based on inadequate or inaccurate information. Especially when pregnant and choosing an OB/GYN, women should interview at least three physicians and make their final choice based on these face-to-face consults. After all, this physician will care for mom and for the developing baby throughout the pregnancy. That's an important responsibility.
@texascopywriter Thanks for posting here Samantha! I am following your blog and keep reading your interesting and informative posts :)