Being Prepared for Motherhood
I had always found small babies extremely adorable and I always thought it would be fun being a mom. One of my friends told me to treasure each moment before becoming a mom as after the baby I won’t get much time for myself. I did not take her advice seriously and thought it is not so difficult. Obviously I was under a false impression. I am not trying to say that being a mom is a nightmare, but the changes that motherhood brings in life can sometimes be really stressful. I was having a completely different perspective and it left me saying later on – ‘I was not prepared for this’!
From the above example, I mean to convey an important message, that even when a person has seen babies and kids in family and friends, you will not realize what parenthood means until you become a parent yourself. There is a huge difference in watching other parents and experiencing parenthood yourself.
If you are a first time parent, this is a must read because your life is going to change completely after becoming a parent, especially for mothers. Moms to be should know what will be their life like and be mentally prepared.
Having a little one in the family is a blessing and brings moments of joy and happiness for the family. But looking after a baby, the effort and care the baby needs can get overwhelming for most new mothers. New mothers may feel:
- Loss of independence, as the baby demands a lot of time, and you may feel that it is impossible to give time to yourself, household work or your profession.
- A disturbed routine and lack of sleep.
- The work which you used to feel easy to do might become a daunting task because of lack of time and tiredness.
- Your partner may start feeling impatient to see you so preoccupied and tired all the time.
- Little time to relax may make you feel emotionally exhausted. Moms with postpartum depression have to face even more challenges.
- Outings with the baby or toddler can also become difficult as the he/she can try to explore around.
The baby will ask you for your time, love and effort. After all, you are raising another human being. So it’s better to have knowledge of how your life as a mom would be, and then be prepared for it. Before planning a baby, make sure you are ready for the changes in your life.
Seeking help from family and talking to other moms about their experiences and feelings is important. Almost all moms have faced some common feelings and sharing and letting it out would really give a boost.
Being a parent is a great responsibility and it is not so easy. Obviously, one has to raise a delicate little person who needs lots and lots of care, as he / she is new to this world. A baby is completely helpless unless you give her your undivided attention and time.
Before beginning to plan a baby it is essential to know how your lifestyle is going to change after the baby comes into your life. The following text will give you some idea about your first year with the baby.
- Always need to be Extra Alert and Careful: This is very important. Parents and other elders around the baby should be extremely careful and alert while doing any task like carrying a hot cup of coffee, using sharp objects like scissors or even unfolding an umbrella. They have to keep the baby in their sight while carrying out tasks that are normally done without paying too much attention so that the baby does not get hurt by any chance.
- Parents would need some practice and time: A baby asks for a lot of time and effort and parents (especially mothers) will have very little time for themselves. To make the most of the few hours they have for themselves, they have to intelligently plan, everything they need to do, so that it does not conflict with the baby’s feeding, bathing and sleep otherwise it will make the baby uncomfortable.
- Always on toes: An infant soils the nappy quite often and moms have to keep checking for it after every passing hour or two. The idea is to keep the baby skin clean and dry. Soiled nappies and diapers should be changed immediately as they can rash the baby’s delicate skin. Keeping diapers on for hours can be more irritating for the baby during harsh winters and summers. So it will be a good idea not to use diapers unless you are travelling or out for a short trip.
- Feeds: An infant may also need feeds quite frequently. Immediately after waking up from sleep or after every 1 or 2 hours.
- Baby clothing: You should buy a good number of clothes for the baby as you might need to change them 3-4 times a day.
- Moms should ask for help: Mothers will have very less time for spending with other members of the family or to even take a shower! The best way is to ask for help and this way they will get some time for themselves. New mothers also need a lot of care (both emotionally and physically). So it is very good if family members help new mothers with household responsibilities and baby care. It is also advisable for new mothers to stay with at least few family members immediately after delivery so that all the help and support is possible. Single mothers can ask help from a babysitter or friends.
- Catching up on Sleep: Sleep can be a burning issue because the baby has yet to develop the normal sleep routine and this can take first few months. The very first month is the most irregular in terms of sleep. The baby is mostly asleep during daytime and wakes up at night. It is always recommended for parents to catch up their sleep when the baby sleeps but it is not so easy for those who have had a strict routine. Its better to start practicing to sleep for 1-2 hours in the daytime and try waking up 2-3 times at night one or two months before delivery.
- Breastfeeding in public places: For mothers, breastfeeding in public places can become difficult and uncomfortable as sometimes the baby can try to play with their clothing while feeding. Some mothers therefore try to avoid it and instead prefer bottle feed which is not as good as the mother’s milk for baby’s health. So better be equipped with breastfeeding accessories.
- Baby’s safety on the go: Parents would need to buy car seats and strollers or bassinets for carrying your precious and delicate new born outside and inside the home. There are many strollers and bassinets available in different designs which help baby’s mobility safe.
- Packing for outings with baby: Click Here for the complete list.
- Baby’s Vaccination List: Parents to be also keep a list of necessary vaccinations ready and handy before baby’s birth, which will be required by the baby while he/she grows.
- Keep Finances in check and Plan before its too late: It is also important to calculate your financial status and is that enough to carry out the expenses required for the baby’s birth and buying essentials for the baby. Also you will need to plan for the expenses for the baby’s school beforehand.
- Welcome the baby: Last but not the least, prepare your home to welcome the baby. At first the baby will sleep in the same room as yours because you will have to attend him/her quite often. So you will need to make some space there. The very basic things you need for the new baby are a crib with all the bedding and pillows, a cabinet, a stroller, bathing accessories, wipes and cotton rolls, breastfeeding or bottle-feeding kits and some baby clothes.
Try to play with or talk to the baby for as much time as you can. This is absolutely essential for bonding between you and your baby, and the baby’s speech recognition and development. By now you will be more relaxed and hands on, and now you will have more fun while playing and talking to your cute little one. At this age your baby will be sitting up without support and he/she will crawl.
Try to play with or talk to the baby for as much time as you can. This is absolutely essential for bonding between you and your baby, and the baby’s speech recognition and development. By now you will be more relaxed and hands on, and now you will have more fun while playing and talking to your cute little one.
At this age your baby will be sitting up without support and he/she will crawl.