Life with a newborn
As a newborn arrives home, a completely different life begins. The day to day life has so much more to do and so much more to take care of.
- Always need to be Extra Alert and Careful: Parents and other adults around the baby should be extremely careful and alert while doing any task like carrying a hot cup of coffee, using sharp objects like scissors or even unfolding an umbrella. They have to keep the baby in their sight while carrying out tasks that are normally done without paying too much attention so that the baby does not get hurt by any chance.
- Parents would need some practice and time: A baby asks for a lot of time and effort and parents (especially mothers) will have very little time for themselves. To make the most of the few hours they have for themselves, they have to intelligently plan, everything they need to do, so that it does not conflict with the baby’s feeding, bathing and sleep otherwise it will make the baby uncomfortable.
- Always on toes: An infant soils the nappy quite often and moms have to keep checking for it after every passing hour or two. The idea is to keep the baby skin clean and dry. Soiled nappies and diapers should be changed immediately as they can rash the baby’s delicate skin. Keeping diapers on for hours can be more irritating for the baby during harsh winters and summers. So it will be a good idea not to use diapers unless you are travelling or out for a short trip. How to change baby’s nappy and put diapers? How to avoid nappy and diaper rash. What kind of diapers are best for my baby? Click here
- Feeds: An infant may also need feeds quite frequently. Immediately after waking up from sleep or after every 1 or 2 hours. See Breastfeeding
- Baby clothing: Buying a good number of clothes for the baby is a good idea as you might need to change them 3-4 times a day.
- Moms should ask for help: Mothers will have very less time for spending with other members of the family or to even take a shower! The best way is to ask for help and this way they will get some time for themselves. New mothers also need a lot of care (both emotionally and physically). So it is very good if family members help new mothers with household responsibilities and baby care. It is also advisable for new mothers to stay with at least few family members immediately after delivery so that all the help and support is possible.
- Catching up on Sleep: Sleep can be a burning issue because the baby has yet to develop the normal sleep routine and this can take first few months. The very first month is the most irregular in terms of sleep. The baby is mostly asleep during daytime and wakes up at night. It is always recommended for parents to catch up their sleep when the baby sleeps but it is not so easy for those who have had a strict routine. Its better to start practicing to sleep for 1-2 hours in the daytime and try waking up 2-3 times at night one or two months before delivery.
- Breastfeeding Accesories: For mothers, breastfeeding in public places can become difficult and uncomfortable as sometimes the baby can try to play with her clothing while feeding. Some mothers therefore try to avoid it and instead prefer bottle feed which is not as good as the mother’s milk for baby’s health. So better be equipped with breastfeeding accessories.
- Baby’s safety on the go: Parents would need to buy car seats and strollers or bassinets for carrying your precious and delicate new born outside and inside the home. There are many strollers and bassinets available in different designs which help baby’s mobility safe. Click here to know more.
- Packing for outings with baby: Click Here for the complete list.
- Baby’s Vaccination List: Parents to be also keep a list of necessary vaccinations ready and handy before baby’s birth, which will be required by the baby while he/she grows.
Do you think there is more to it? If yes, then please add your valuable comments and let new moms know about it. Thanks in advance for sharing :)